top of page
  • vickie093

Keeping Your Home Healthy: Hidden Health Dangers

When we think of dangers in our home, we often think of carbon monoxide and radon. But did you know that other health hazards are lurking in your home that you may not know about? In this blog post, we’ll discuss some of the hidden health dangers in your home that you should be aware of.

Lead Pipes and Paint

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that there are 9 million lead pipes that deliver drinking water to homes and businesses across the United States. Even though lead-based interior paint has been banned since 1978, it remains the most common cause of lead poisoning. It's important to note that there are no safe levels of lead exposure. If you are buying a home, the seller is required to provide you with any known lead-based paint hazards. If you suspect that your home may have lead pipes or paint, you should contact a professional to test for lead and remove it if necessary.

Asbestos

Asbestos is a fibrous material that is resistant to heat and corrosion. It has been used in insulation and wallboard materials. When asbestos is disturbed, the fibers can get trapped in your lungs and cause inflammation and scarring, leading to serious health problems. Asbestos is still used in many products like brake linings, ceiling insulation, cement pipes, some filters, and some flooring adhesives. It's hard to identify asbestos as it can't be seen by the human eye. Homeowners often think of popcorn texture on ceilings when they think of asbestos. If you suspect asbestos in your home, you should take precautions and call a trained professional for removal.

Mold

Mold can cause health problems too. Mold spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through the air. They need water or moisture to grow, so if you see moisture or smell a musty odor, you may have mold. Watch for growth in places like leaky roofs, windows, or around pipes, it can grow on nearly every surface. Mold spores produce allergic reactions and can contain toxic substances. If you are exposed for a long period, you may experience persistent headaches, muscle cramps, runny nose, watery eyes, or a cough. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) doesn't recommend testing for mold as it affects everyone differently.

Conclusion

Your home is where you should feel safe and healthy. Unfortunately, there are hidden health hazards that can affect your well-being. Knowing about these hazards and taking action to prevent them can keep you and your family safe. Keep an eye out for lead pipes, asbestos, and mold, and don't hesitate to call a professional if you suspect any of them in your home.

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Home Inspections for Colorado Sellers

Home Inspections fill both buyers and sellers with dread. Both parties want the process to go smoothly, but sometimes deals are broken after a home inspection. A home inspector usually checks eve

Comments


bottom of page